Bachelor's degree in software engineering or a related technical field is required (or equivalent experience), plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance required within 24 months of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Software Engineer Senior Staff. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
Do you like knowing that your work has life-saving value? Do you like the squeak of dry-erase markers on a giant whiteboard, or a lively debate about a user’s optimal experience, or the view of the South Side slopes, or the autonomy to accomplish your goals as you see fit, or board game lunches? Do you like the kind of day where you learn so many new skills that your brain feels like it just ate Thanksgiving dinner? Sound intriguing? Viz is looking for people like you: smart, creative, and fun.
We make software that interactively visualizes data. We make software that enables massive collaboration. We make software that supports our men and women in the military, that smoothes the way of emergency responders here at home, that offers insight to researchers and data analysts. We’re a passionate, close-knit group of inter-disciplinary thinkers and doers that craft truly one-of-a-kind software used all over the world, and we do it from our cozy-casual office here in Pittsburgh.
In this role, you will:
• Researches, designs, documents, implements, and tests computer software systems, in conjunction with product development requirements, applying principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis
• Applies the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle to support the generation of technical engineering products
• Researches and analyzes data, such as customer design proposals, specifications and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
• May provide leadership and/or direction to lower level employees
• Contributes to the completion of major programs and projects
Candidates should have demonstrated strengths and experience in some of the following areas:
• User Interface development
• Computer science theory (e.g., data structures, algorithms, computational complexity)
• Appreciation for user-centric design
• Attention to quality
• Full use and understanding of software engineering concepts, principles, and theories
• Effective communication and attention to detail
• Strong fundamentals in data structures and algorithms
• Solid object oriented programming and software design skills
Other beneficial experience:
• Experience with version control systems
• Concurrent programming and building multi-threaded systems
• Memory and CPU profiling
• Data modeling and writing efficient Structured Query Language (SQL) statements
• Experience building large-scale mission-critical applications
• Experience with distributed systems
• Mobile development
• Direct-manipulation user interfaces
• Information visualization
• HCI coursework
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE: Software Engineering, Computer Engineer or Computer Science
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran